I’m in love – with the traditional Afrikaans (South African) way of cooking. It’s provided me with a whole new range of cooking ideas to choose from. This is the second recipe I’ve made, and aside from being easy to make, the recipes taste amazing.
The best thing about this particular recipe is it doesn’t use many ingredients. If you love shortbread and chocolate I’m sure you will love these.
- 200 gram butter
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) castor sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 2 cups (500 ml) Gluten Free plain flour (or normal plain flour)
- 200 – 250 gram slab chocolate such as Whittakers Dark Chocolate or your favourite brand
- Icing sugar to dust
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add water
- Add flour and mix with blender until mixed thoroughly into a dough like consistency.
- Cut chocolate into blocks.
- Fold each block of chocolate into enough dough to cover it completely. The dough wrapping should be about 5 mm thick.
- Roll it between the palms of your hands to shape it into a barrel.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes. It should have the colour of straw, but should not be brown.
- Dust with icing sugar while biscuits are still warm.
Recipe slightly adapted from rainbow cooking