- 1 ½ cups Gluten Free self-raising flour, sifted* see note
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 40g cold butter, chopped
- ¾ cup (120g) frozen raspberries
- 2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- ½ cup (125ml) milk, plus extra, for brushing
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds (optional)
- icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
Pre-heat oven to 180ºC (355ºF). Place the flour and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Place the raspberries and extra sugar in a bowl and toss to combine. Stir ¼ cup of the raspberry mixture through the flour mixture.
Make a well in the center and pour in the milk. Use a butter knife to gradually mix the milk into the flour mixture until just combined. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and gently bring the dough together. Shape into a 16cm round and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Score the top of the scone with a knife and brush with extra milk. Press the remaining raspberries into the top of the scone and sprinkle with the almonds. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Dust with icing sugar to serve Serves 6.
*The original recipe used normal self-raising flour, but I substituted equal quantities of GF Self Raising Flour ( I generally use Orgran or White Wings Gluten Free Flour)
recipe slightly adapted from Donna Hay Raspberry and almond scones